Radschool Association Magazine - Vol 22    

Page 2




Print this page

Paul (Spag) Spackman told us of the passing of Mick Quibell. Mick was an electrician with 9 Sqn in Vung Tau from June 1968 to June 1969 and died from a massive stroke. We don't have exact details, but Paul thinks it was sometime early in Feb 2008, in Canberra. We knew Mick when he was a 'sparky' with DCA in Madang PNG back in 1974/5 - he was a bloody good bloke.



Ernie Gimm informs us of the sudden passing of Barry Hirst. Apparently, Barry and Carrol were at the Panthers Leagues Club in the Blue Mountains on Wednesday night (6th Feb) when Barry suffered a sudden fatal heart attack, with a possible simultaneous stroke. Barry's funeral was held at the Leura Memorial Gardens, Leura (Blue Mountains) at 11am on Tuesday 12 February 2008.



Neil Hunter informs us of the passing of Kevin Veale on 21 Feb 2008 in Werribee. Kevin was a Tels Tech and an active reserve member in the 60s and 70s. - yes we did have them in the 60s and 70s. Anyone who served at Laverton during the 60s and 70s will have probably met Kevin in his full time duty as resident PMG/Telecom technician on the Laverton Base.He was buried at the Werribee Cemetery on the 26 Feb.


Wayne Smith (Sniff) got in touch, he says "My news is not good news. My great mate and legendary RadTech Geoff Renshaw sadly passed away about a year ago. Geoff was diagnosed with a vicious form of Bronchial Cancer, and from the time of diagnosis to his passing was 6 weeks. I got to know Geoff back in 1970 when we went to Florida along with the likes of Terry Houston, Paul Dimmer, Dave Muir-McCarey, Ray Chapman, Marty O'loughlin and many other holiday makers like us.


We didn't learn too much about F4 Phantoms but we sure drank a lot! Geoff and I remained great mates until his sad passing.


John Sambrooks contacted us with the following sad news: “It is with deep regret that I advise all members of the passing of Bill Johnston. Bill passed away on Saturday night, 2 Feb, suffering from cancer. Bill’s funeral was held at the Mount Thompson Crematorium, Holland Park, (Brisbane) on Thursday 7 February 2008". Bill was a surface finisher and spent 9 months with RTFV/35 Sqn from March 1966 to December 1966. He then returned to 38 Sqn at Richmond where we met him.


Bill is shown here (on the left), with Pete DeJonge, at an Anzac Day debrief in Brisbane a few years ago. He was one of life's gentlemen and will be missed by many.


Go to page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19